2011 Goals – A Year of Intention
I know I said before the 2011 was going to be my Year of Health.
Instead, I have decided 2011 will be my Year of Intention. Less mindless busywork. Less Tweeting “because it will help promote me.” Less zoning out watching television or movies. Less filling my life with meaningless “stuff” but instead attempting to motivate everything with intention.
An intention to better myself.
To better the world around me.
It is with this intention that I list out my 2011 Goals. Resolution are lame. But I feel like I’m in good company with goal-gurus like Jenny and Sean and Alan and Chris keeping an eye on me. (Ok, Chris Guillebeau doesn’t keep an eye on what I do, but let a girl dream!)
- Rebuild Emergency Fund – Starting a business in the fourth quarter of the year was not an ideal situation for my poor little savings account
- Pay Off Last 2 Credit Cards – In full Shopaholic style, my Macy’s and State Farm credit card are in a block of ice in my freezer. Macy’s card will be used occasionally and then paid off as it is my oldest line of credit (will never use it again though)
- Earn $5K in One Month From Writing - If this is going to be my gig, might as well make it super sustainable, right?!
- Fully Implement the Overcoming Uncertainty Mint.com Program – I own the Overcoming Uncertainty program. I have Mint.com. I look at the reports. I know I’m not making my money work for me.
Knowledge & Experiences
- Play Guitar & Sing Onstage - I’ve performed onstage since I was 10 or so. Guitar & singing together, though? Never.
- Read 50 Books – Well, this one is kinda self-explanatory
- Create Life List – I’ll admit it. I’ve got Bucket List-envy
- Speak Conversational French – Eventually I would like to become a polygot. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
- Create Charity Project – I have some ideas. But I think that it would be cool to create a product sold for charity, maybe involving social media?
- Open an Etsy Store – Yep, I make pretty spiffy beaded jewelry. It’s a nice (read cheap) alternative for a start-up owner to give as presents to girlfriends (somehow my guy…friends don’t want crystal bead necklaces. Weird…)
- Get Library Card -This is like a low-hanging fruit, right? Haven’t had one since I lived at home with my parents though…
- Los Angeles – Hoping for a 4th Quarter 2011 visit to the girl-in-the-know Sharalyn and some other friends
- San Francisco – Ok, who didn’t see this coming?! Annual SP 2.0 w/my SPIRLBFF
- Other Portland – God willing (no, seriously, I need a god’s intervention at this point) I will be at the World Domination Summit in June 2011
- New York City – A visit to my kindred writing-spirit is WAY overdue! Plus, I might have a business reason to be travel starting 2nd Quarter 2011.
- Boston (Times 10) – It’s only a two-hour train ride away. Even though there’s a boa constrictor loose on the red line, I am missing out not visiting more often
- Write eBook & Publish – Yep, I’ve got one and it should be ready for a big announcement in the 2nd quarter. You may commence with the hating. But I’m really hoping to make it not suck!
- Write First Draft of Book - Holy daunting task Batman!!!
- Attend National Writing Conference/Workshop – I need to learn from the pros and peers
- Get Published In a National Print Magazine – I’ve done well rocking the online arena. I don’t plan to stop. But I’d like to expand my repertoire.
- Relaunch Writing Studio
- Have Coffee w/Melissa Senate – Kind of writing/career as well, Melissa is one of my FAVORITE women’s literature writers and I recently found out she has a home in Maine. Fate? I think so!
- Write One Handwritten Letter A Week To Someone and Snail Mail – I discovered with my holiday cards how touching a handwritten note is. And I’ve got a TON of addresses now. It’s time to start making my friends realize how special they are to me!
- Date Someone Long Enough To Call Them “My Boyfriend” - Ugh! Hives! Short breath! I passed on many a chance to even attempt this in 2010, even though it was my Year of Love. Not sure what the protocol is on this one, but it’s pretty measurable.
- Meet 10 “online” friends “IRL” – Not Mainers. I love you all, but that’s just too easy!
- Spend 1 Day per Week NOT Logging In To Facebook, Twitter, etc. – Six days is enough to build 140-character relationships…
Health & Wellness
- Run Trail To Ale 10K in September – Fun race, longer than a 5K, they give you beer & pizza at the end AND the proceeds go to the Portland Trails? Yes please…
- Practice Yoga 3X per Week – Yoga makes me feel better, I need to do it more often and consistently.
- Lose 3 Sizes – I’m currently the “National Average” size 14. This is not healthy. My weight is all skewy cause of my…ummm…chest weight and a weird apportionment of muscle (at least according to my nutritionist, doctor and chiropractor…apparently under the jiggle lies rippling abs.) I’ve actually lost 3 sizes from what I was a year ago.
- Stay In Plank Pose For 3 Minutes Straight – Plank kicks my ass. I hate it. I sun salute out of it as soon as I can.
- Participate In One Rec League Sport – Adult Ed, PortSports…Kickball, Indoor Soccer…the possibilities are ENDLESS!
- Take A Weekend Retreat BY MYSELF – Three days, just me. Away from everything.
- Watch Less Than 15 Hours A Week of TV/Movies/Netflix/Etc – I’ve gotten into a DANGEROUS lifestyle of zoning out to the red box. 15 hrs a week gives me 2 hrs A DAY and a bonus hour of programming. That should be MORE than enough!
I’m planning to provide updates at least quarterly on these. Depending on the goal, a post might be in order (I doubt you guys want a post on how I got my library card though.)
Here’s to a GREAT 2011!
Do we share any goals? Anything similar? Polar opposite?
How can I help you hit YOUR goals in 2011?
Photo Credit – Flickr (opopododo) Creative Commons
Did you know I have a private newsletter that goes out ONLY to subscribers? It offers stories of travel adventures, writing brilliance, links to great content around the internet and other crazy shaningans.